Merseyside Black History Month Group
No files uploaded
Merseyside’s Black History Month celebrations are amongst the largest in the country and attract visitors from all over the UK and Europe, receiving local and national coverage.
Since 2003 those celebration activities have been organised by The Merseyside Black History Month Group, now a registered charity (No 1130104) and Limited by Guarantee Company (No. 06718964) with the following aims:
1. The Promotion of Equality and Diversity for the public benefit of residents of Merseyside in particular, but not exclusively, by:
- Advancing education and raising awareness in equality and diversity, and black heritage, history and arts
- Promoting activities to foster understanding between people from diverse backgrounds
- The elimination of discrimination on the grounds of race, gender, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation religion or age
2. In particular, but not exclusively, developing and delivering a year long calendar of events celebrating and raising awareness of black history and heritage with a special focus on the month of October.
Thousands of diverse audience members, visitors and patrons have attended and supported the diverse programme of successful activities since 2003, which includes:
- The Merseyside Black Achievers Award – a prestigious black tie event held in Liverpool each October which celebrates the achievements of members of the black community and also recognises contributions made by individuals or groups to black communities. The awards presented are sponsored by key public and private sectors partners.
- The Cultural Food Feast – held in Sefton Park’s historical Palm House, where people from all over Merseyside can sample (free of charge) a variety of cultural cuisines.
The Group’s success comes from the fact that the majority of our programs are free and open to the public, thus fostering community cohesion. However, this can only be done with the financial support, resources and participation from corporate sponsors, who benefit immensely from the opportunities to enrich people’s lives and increased brand awareness.
Learning from the past, shaping the future together...